Thursday, July 9, 2009

All is Quiet on the Western Front

I've missed a few days, so forgive me. Things have been jumping around here and it's been fun, if stressful at times.

Today, Ben had swim lessons at the Y. I've made the mistake the last few days and took Rex to the lesson with us. It's been so hot, it was just unbearable to try to keep him entertained while we waited for Ben. So today, I took Rex to ChildWatch and dropped him off to play while Ben and I went to the pool for his lesson. Genius! I got to watch Ben learn and Rex got undivided attention in the air-conditioned nursery.

After Ben's lesson, we got Ben changed into some warm, dry clothes and he and I went to the lobby and he had a snack and I had coffee and read the paper. Deirdre, a friend I don't see often enough, walked up and we got to chat for a while about the highs and lows of motherhood. How wonderful to share some of my thoughts and feelings from the last several days with someone who understands. It's so easy to think of yourself as a bad mother until you realize that what you're feeling is perfectly normal. Best of all, anything difficult that's happening is usually temporary and it will pass.

Since we got home, Rex has gone down for his nap and Ben is playing quietly in his room. I'm pretty exhausted after a not-so-great night's sleep, so it's nice to just sit here and blog before I move on to the next task. All is quiet right now. And at this moment, life is beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Girl!
    I just caught up on your blog...ended up here via some circuitous route that I can't trace back in my mind at the moment. Yep, still up since 12:30am. But I'm glad I came across your blog this morning! I love all of your pictures of Ben and Rex. Rex has such a big, incredible smile! And, Ben. Well, Ben is just...the best little person I know. Getting to know all three of your children has been such a pleasure and I hope to someday be a mom to someone as intelligent and gracious as Vanessa, or as sweet and soft as Ben, or as joyful and full of wonder as Rex. Thanks for sharing your family's adventures via this blog!

    ReplyDelete