Monday, June 22, 2009

One Fine Day

I awoke this morning to Nugget gazing up at me from the crook of my arm with the most precious smile on his face and those big, beautiful brown eyes just twinkling. I have no idea how he ended up in bed with me. I don't remember anything after going to sleep last night after a long and exhausting weekend. I think what actually woke me was Ben's voice:

Ben: Mama?

Me: Mmmm...[grumble...snort]

Ben: Are we going to see Kaitwyn today?

Me: Uh...yeah.

When I opened my eyes, Ben was fully dressed.

Me: Hey! You dressed yourself!

Ben: Yep!

I was so proud of my big boy. His sandals were on the optional way (I just can't bring myself to say he put them on the wrong feet), but the shorts and shirt were on the traditional way (right-side out and tags in back).

Normally, I'm up before both boys, so I knew it had to be late. I looked at the clock and it said 10:30 a.m. Yikes! Valerie and I had discussed getting together with the kids today, so I hurried and called her over my first cup of coffee. Fortunately, she hadn't even had her first cup of coffee, so we had some time to get ready.

We met up with Valerie and Kaitlyn at the Katy Mills Mall play area. The kids played and Rex and I sang and danced to the music coming out of the loud speakers. Rex is quite the dancer, all shimmy, shake, and chub. Before Valerie and Kaitlyn arrived, I got a caramel frappucino at Starbuck's and in between dance numbers with Rex, had an epiphany: Frozen + Cappucino= Frappucino. Eureka. Don't ask me why that's important. It just reminded me of a moment when my friend, Laurie, discovered that chicken fried steak was not actually chicken.

After we [me] were sick of the play area, we went to the food court and indulged in a disgusting meal of Burger King. I got some kind of Chicken Ranch Cheddar sandwich thingy and it was not near as exciting as the picture. We rode the carousel and of course, I forgot my blasted camera, so there are no precious pictures of the kids. Rex LOVED the carousel and Ben loved riding the horse. I think Rex is going to be my little adventurer.

After hitting Bed Bath & Beyond for some tarts and a bed tray at a steal of a price thanks to my coupons, we headed home. While the boys rested, I did finally talk with the customer service manager at Bassett. Before I called, I said a prayer that God would give me the right words to handle the situation. I started out okay, but when the manager became non-committal and was underwhelmed by my dissatisfying experience so far with Bassett, I did get a little more firm and told her what we expected in terms of a resolution. She's supposed to call on Wednesday with an update. I'm praying for the best outcome. All I want is for Bassett to do right by us and to be fair.

Tonight was about as perfect as it could be. Mike came home at a reasonable hour, the boys were both in good spirits and everyone was ready for bed at a decent time. The boys are fast asleep and, even though I spend every day and every one of their waking hours with them, I miss my beautiful boys. :-)

1 comment: